



Picture this: A year or so ago, Emily and I taking a walk through my neighborhood pushing Addison in the stroller. We get to chatting and some how Kevin and Keith's 30th birthday came up. The two of us thought it would be so cool to take them to Vegas as a surprise. And so the planning began. The whole time I'm planning I had that Faith Hill song in my head, Hey Baby Lets Go To Vegas. Here are the lyrics:
Hey baby, let's go to Vegas
Kiss the single life good-bye
Hey baby, let's go to Vegas
Bet on love and let it ride
Viva Las Vegas, sparklin' lights
Dangerous livin', tumblin' dice
You're my ace in the hole now honey
And I'm your lady luck
Pack a few things and a little money
Pack a few things and a little money
And put 'em in the truck
I had no ideas how I was going to make it happen but, I was determined. My main goal was to keep it a secret from Kevin. Keeping something from him is just as hard as trying to keep a secret from my mom. None the less I desperately wanted to surprise him. I called his boss and told him my whole plan and he graciously agreed to give Kevin the time off. I told him I would make the arrangements and get back with him. When I choose the dates I let his boss know. He e-mailed me and said that as a gift to Kevin they wanted to pay for our airfare... ROUND TRIP. I was so excited that nearly peed my pants, which wouldn't take much effort after having Addison, sometimes a good sneeze makes me pee (sorry T.M.I. but, it's true). I wanted to call Kevin so bad but had to restrain myself. I invited many friends and family members to go but, trips are expensive and being able to take the time off from work wasn't in the cards so no one was able to go. I was disappointed but, I understood. I knew it would be a great trip for Kevin and I to reconnect.
My plan was to wait until April 1st (April Fools Day, mind you) the day we were to leave and let him get up , get ready to go to work, and then tell him he didn't have to go. Well, Kevin's work got a whole new Computer System and things got CRAZY at work. I literally haven't had my husband home on time in over a month. It makes me most sad because there are many days Addison doesn't get to see Kevin. She loves her Daddy and looks forward to spending time with him. He would come home worrying about work and how much there was to do. He would tell me everyday that he could stay at work until midnight and not get everything done. I began to think that waiting to tell him wasn't the best idea. If I waited he wouldn't have the opportunity to wrap things up at work and would worry the whole trip about work. So about a week before the trip, I decided to tell him. I made a t-shirt for Addison that said " What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas (on front)" and said"But You Can Ask My Dad When He Gets Back (on the back)". Well, I made the shirt with these bubble stickers that had cut out letters inside them. Little did I know that the letters move. So I put the shirt on Addison and all the letters shifted making it really hard to read. She went out to the living room and said, "Have Fun In Vegas". Kevin didn't hear what she said . He began reading her shirt word by word aloud. Holly and I are just grinning waiting for him to realize what he is reading. He got the message on the front and then read the back. When he finished reading I said" Happy Birthday We're Going to Vegas." He kept saying , "Whatever, No We're not." "How are we gonna afford that?" I told him to thank his bosses at work for flying us out there. He got all teary eyed. He couldn't understand why they would do that for him. Gee, it couldn't be because he is such a good worker and does an amazing job, could it? He just couldn't fathom the thought that they would do that for him. Needless to say he was happy and very much looking forward to getting away. I was relieved to tell him and not have to keep a secret any more. I almost slipped up so many times and so did my mom and dad. All the planning, sneakiness, and worrying were so worth it to see the look on his face. He is such a great man. I love Kevin so much and I really wanted him to know how special he is to me and how important his birthday is. I have to say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
No comments:
Post a Comment