Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cute Cousins, Christmas Cookies, and Craziness











Try saying that title five times fast. Yesterday was a pretty good day overall. It got off to a very slow and rocky start but ended on a good note. The plan in my head went as follows; wake up early, get ready have breakfast, make cookies with Hayden , Addison and Kayla at De De's house, Have lunch, play, head home and have a nap. The day went like this; Addison woke up late, hurried to get ready, Addison needs to poop but refuses, Addison sits on potty forever and finally decided to stop holding her bowls, have to make a pit stop at the store for an extra bag of cookies and sprinkles per Deanna's request, standing in line to pay and get a call from Paul telling us he went to the store and to just come over forget the store, finally make it to Deanna's for cookie making at 11:30 way later then I wanted. Seems to be a pattern in my life. No matter how much I hurry the further behind I get.
We had lunch and began the cookie making process. None of us had ever made the kind of Christmas cookies you use cookie cutters on so the kids weren't the only ones learning from this. Each kid had their very own bowl, spoon, package of cookie mix, and ingredients. Addison and Hayden made chocolate chip and Kayla wanted to make sugar cookies. They all got to do every step themselves with a little assistance from the adults. The plan was to have all the kids stand around the island on step stools and mix their batter only there were two stools and three kids. The kids were arguing back and forth over the stools when I got an idea. Landon was sitting in his highchair watching every move his brother and bigger cousin were making. I said guys, if you stand at the island Landon won't be able to see and since he isn't old enough to stir yet, he really wants to watch. I told them to grab a seat at the table and we would get started. It was funny because each kids had a different agenda. Addison could not wait to EAT the cookies, Hayden was all about rolling the dough and wanted to use the cookie cutters, Kayla was super excited to put on the sprinkles and held tight to sprinkle container. They had a hard time understanding that we had to mix the batter , roll out the dough, then use the cookie cutters, cook bake the cookies, let them cool and then decorate them. There were too many step for their minds to process.
While the cookie were baking I pulled out some Christmas headbands and asked the kids to put them on for pictures. I was snapping away . Deanna wanted one with all three kids together in front of the Christmas tree. She didn't like that they were standing so far apart and moved Kayla over closer to Hayden which really upset her. Kayla was super upset and cried. No one could get her to stop crying, we all tried but it seemed to make her more upset. Her crying made Landon cry and Hayden trying to comfort her got his feeling hurt when he was told by Jeff to leave her alone and he started to cry. It was a bit chaotic for awhile and then things settled down. The cookie came out of the over, cooled, and the decorating began. The adults were trying to think of a good system for the kids to do the frosting, and sprinkles. They each got their own bowl again and a cheese ball spreading knife for the frosting. I think more of the frosting made it in Addison's mouth then on her cookie. She was spooning the sprinkles into her mouth instead of onto her cookie. Each kids really enjoyed the decorating process. I think Hayden and Addison only had enough stamina to do one cookie where as Kayla did three. She sure did love those sprinkles. The finished product was five of the very best decorated cookies I had ever seen! Overall great experience and I would love to repeat this with Dana and Danielle and the kiddos. It was a nice way to spend an extremely cold day.

No comments: